• put your amazing slogan here!

    The World's Greatest Communication Weakness


    It's 8:30 in the morning and I am sitting through my first class of the day. My professor speaks intensely about things she wants us to learn. Blah Blah Blah...Oh wait, I did catch where she said we have a test coming up in two days. It's now 10:00 and I am sitting through a two hour class! After about an hour I am pretty much zoned out and my mind is wondering all over the place. I do hear words but I have no idea of what is being said. As I go throughout my day I probably remember hearing a few things in class, whenever my coach gets on me at practice, and a few interesting things that my friends and I talk about throughout the day. Listening sounds so simple but yet can be one of the hardest things to do. Sometimes we go unconsciously throughout our day simply not listening to things meant for us to listen to. To listen closely we have to cut out all the external distractions of noise pollution like cell phones, beepers, and other people talking. There is also the problem of internal noise that goes on in our minds, self-conscious comments, and old images."One of the main reasons we listen poorly is because our internal noise levels are so turbulent and obtrusive that they mark most of what others are saying." (pg. 32 Shafir) Listening helps build relationships, learn, identify with one another, and show respect. Something as simple as listening with help us when we speak. We must learn to be good listeners before we can become good speakers. We must learn to listen in order to speak knowledge. Our ways of communication continue to evolve but maybe the most important part will always stay the same.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    Blogger news

    About

    Blogroll